Sunday 4 August 2013

Goodbye Murphy

I'm a big fan of the personal financial management practices, particularly the baby steps, advocated by Dave Ramsey.  It reminds me very much of how my grandmother managed her finances.

Before Mr Trifectagirl got sick, I was starting to get the baby steps moving.  Particularly the emergency fund.  Dave calls this 'Murphy Proofing'.  You know Murphy, the dude that makes anything that can go wrong, go wrong.

Having 3 close relatives die on me in 4 years, I have been able to clear all my debt.  Mr Trifectagirl would be pleased he's been able to put a secure roof over J and I's head.  My Mum and step-dad pleased they've paid off my education debt.  This is something I very much appreciate how lucky I am (ironic since it took my husband dying, which isn't exactly 'lucky').

I have also been able to set up a fully funded emergency fund of 6 months expenses with the residual.

Which means when my car got broken into and the window was smashed last Monday, I was able to access the funds to get it fixed with out batting an eyelid. 

Then when my computer went belly-up the next day (I kid you not), I was able to head out and get a new one to keep ticking with my current studies.

So maybe based on the last week or so, Murphy will still show up, but he doesn't cause the stress and anxiety that he used to.


 

4 comments:

  1. Good for you for being so responsible with the money that's been left for you and J!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Prayers and peace. Good on ya', Trifecta.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I used to be checking constantly this weblog and I am inspired! Extremely useful information specially the ultimate part :) I maintain such info much. I used to be seeking this particular information for a very lengthy time.
    Thank you and good luck.
    cash for cars toowoomba
    cash for cars melbourne city

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing. Wow, that was strange. I just wrote a really long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't show up. Grrrr... well, I'm not writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted to say fantastic blog!
    cash for old cars
    cash for junk cars

    ReplyDelete