Tuesday 1 May 2012

Golden Retreivers

We had great progress show itself when I visited today!  Mr Trifectagirl has started trying to speak.

It's in-comprehensible, not quite the 'golden retreiver' sound described by Jill Bolte Taylor in her TED talk, but in the realm.

Five or so days ago he was trying 'sssss' or 'zzzzzz', but that was it.  Today it was attempts at full words and sentences.  He is frustrated, but I get the feeling he knows he's progressing. 

We had one funny exchange.  I told him I miss him.  His attempt at a response sounded like 'why'?  "Why!?!?  Why?!?!?  because I love you!!!".   He cracked up.  He at least is laughing quite freely!

One side affect that has started to become apparent is his sense of taste may have been scrambled.  This is a man who loves his food, particularly flavour.  He is on the 'fat is flavour' side of the fence.  He had his birthday lunch booked 12 months in advance after loving the meal last year - this is the birthday lunch that this illness hit. 

I bought him some fast food on the weekend and he looked so excited to receive it.  He tried a few pieces, and then declined any further.  It was like the experience didn't live up the the reality, and you could see the disappointment on his face.  I hope that his sense of taste works it way back. 

No comments:

Post a Comment